Mittwoch, 23. März 2011

To my friends in Germany

Reminiscing the past, it was the year 2002 when I started this child-help project in my homeland, The Philippines. We started with free tutorials and child activities on weekends. Thirty (30) children from  needy barangays Pawa, Bogtong and Quirangay in Camalig, Albay, were given the opportunities to join the project. Six months after, we were able to give scholarships to four (4) students.

In 2004, as I left Germany for good, a total of ten (10) scholarships were given to poor but deserving students of Barangays Pawa, Bogtong and Camalig, Albay. In 2009, six (6) students graduated from High School. One of them, Michael Blando from Barangay Pawa, got a college scholarship from Fam. Fester from Crailsheim. The latter pays for his semestral fees and Michael gets One Thousand Pesos (P1,000.00) monthly as school allowance. Michael is now on his 2nd Year taking up Bachelor of Science in Electronics Technology.

Margie, the sponsor child of Fam. Klingler, got a monthly allowance of Five Hundred Pesos (P500.00) monthly. The Friends from Germany shouldered miscellaneous costs including school uniforms, Christmas and birthday gifts, school supplies, shoes, clothes, and other unexpected dues such as field trips. The Dominican School in Camalig shouldered her monthly tuition and book fees. Her graduation fees were paid by Christa. Fam. Klingler and I donated some amount  including a Five Hundred Peso (P500.00) cash gift. Margie also received a Surprise Box via LBC on March 22, 2011.

Margie, like Michael, will probably receive a College Scholarship Plan from the Dominican School in Camalig. She has yet to pass the College Entrance Examination in Bicol University in Albay.

Marites, the sponsor child of Frau Hessenauer, gets Five Hundred Pesos (P500.00) monthly for transportation allowances. She is attending her 3rd Year High School in Malabog High School in Daraga this schoolyear 2011-2012 and will be finishing her High School in March 2013. Marites regularly gets school supplies, uniforms, Christmas and birthday cash gifts from The Friends From Germany. She is a sponsor child since 2004.

Looking back on those achievements, I also remember not only the financial hardships but also of the disappointments I encountered during those years - the extortion and death threats from Quirangay, the lack of support from the local authorities in Camalig, the distrust of some parents of the sponsored children, and the worst - my own family's envy towards this child-help project. Nevertheless, the never-ending support and understanding of my friends in Germany gave me strength to continue with my goals of helping those children. Without your financial help, I will not be able to send those children to school. Margie's graduation on March 25, 2011, is another proud achievement of friends helping each other to change the lives of poor children.

I am very thankful to you, my dear friends in Germany and Austria, for touching the lives of Liezel Padios, Maribel Nacor, Rosemarie Nacor, Margie Nacor, Marites Nacor, Andy Crisostomo, Michael Blando, Jaymmars Nolasco, Joey Nantes, and Ryan Nacor.

My gratefulness to the project caretaker, Jo Ana Crisostomo, a sponsor child of the Children's International in Pawa, Legazpi City, Albay, for her continuous and honest fulfillment of her duties for the welfare of the members of the Friends of Germany.

As I leave on March 25, 2011 for Munich, Germany, to work again as a Nurse, I will carry with me the memories I shared with these children and I will personally, one by one, over a cup of coffee or tea, thank you all for the financial help and moral support you gave me to make this endeavour a success.

See you all soon in Germany!

Fondly,

mel